A few months ago, we were at a fair and I was looking for something to eat. Nothing sounded good, but I smelled something amazing coming from a gyro tent. Keep in mind, I have never had a gyro and am convinced that greek food has cucumbers in EVERYTHING. And I am the weirdo that can’t stand cucumbers! But, I decided to try it and they confirmed there were no cucumbers in any of the food I ordered! I fell in LOVE. So, naturally, I wanted to find a way to make my own. I don’t know about you, but I don’t have the time to roast a leg of lamb! So, I went to pinterest and found this recipe for chicken gyros. And after making it, I decided it needs to be in my weekly lunch rotation! It was THAT good! And easy! This recipe is from www.recipetineats.com – I modified it to reduce calories and used Lettuce instead of Pitas. Yum!
Chicken & Marinade
- 1 – 1 1/2 lbs of chicken breast (or thighs)
- 3 large garlic cloves, grated
- 3 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp Greek yogurt
- 1½ tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Black pepper
- I didn’t put cucumbers in but you can! 2 cucumbers (to make about ½ – ¾ cup grated cucumber after squeezing out juice)
- 1 cup plain Greek yoghurt
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (original recipe calls for 1 full tbsp or more, but it is fine with less)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ tsp salt
- Black pepper
- Place the Marinade ingredients in a ziplock bag and massage to mix. Add the chicken into the ziplock bag and massage to cover all the chicken in the Marinade. Marinate for at least 3 hours. The longer the better but no longer than 24 hours.
Make the Tzatziki – remember, I made this sauce without cucumber and it was still amazing!
- Cut the cucumber in half lengthwise. Use a teaspoon to scrape the watery seeds out. Coarsely grate the cucumber using a box grater. Then wrap in paper towels or a tea towel and squeeze to remove excess liquid.
- Place cucumber in a bowl. Add remaining ingredients then mix to combine. Set aside for at least 20 minutes for the flavours to meld.
Cooking the Chicken
Remove from the marinade and discard remaining marinade. In the warm months we grill this. When it’s too cold, I put it in a baking dish at 375 for 20-25 minutes.
I served this on butter lettuce cups with some shredded lettuce. It made 4 servings for us and we could have easily eaten double that! So yummy! The sauce I will make for dip for carrots too! YUM! Enjoy!
1 serving of chicken came to 141 calories and 1 serving of sauce came to 47 calories.